Saturday, August 3, 2019

CSA Newsletter for Week 8

Farm Update



If you've never tried okra before,
you're in for a treat!  This is our
first year growing it, and I'm so
glad we gave it a try, because
it's delicious!
Hi everyone!   Hope you're all doing well!  I know I sound like a broken record, but we still really need rain.  Fortunately, as I'm writing this I can hear thunder in the distance and there are some beautiful dark clouds overhead, so I've got my fingers crossed that those clouds will start pouring down rain.  We've had our hopes dashed in situations like this before, so I'm being a little superstitious and purposely not looking at the weather radar, but it's looking good for some precipitation!  Because of the mini-drought (the end of which I hope we'll be celebrating soon!), the variety in the shares this week feels a little more limited, but I'm still happy with the good stuff we'll be bringing to the drop-offs.  The onions and potatoes are maturing like crazy right now, and so are the weeds!  Yikes!  Those weeds are a never-ending battle, but I'd still choose the Sisyphean task of keeping them under control over winter any day of the week.  We're starting to see some increased insect pressure at the farm as well, because they come out in droves when the weather gets too dry, but it's a lot better than most years, so I'd call that a win.  

Hooray!  It's raining!!!  Excuse me while I go and dance outside in this beautiful rain, because it's time to celebrate!!!

What to Expect in This Week's Share


If you are picking up at one of our traditional style drop-offs (Alma, Mt. Pleasant, and Midland), here’s what the options will be at the different stations.  If you have a half share, you’ll choose one item at each station, and if you have a full share, you choose two items at each station!

  • Blueberries or cherry tomatoes
  • Lettuce or cucumbers
  • Kale or cabbage
  • Carrots or zucchini
  • Potatoes or fennel
  • Onion or shallots
  • Basil, shiso, or okra

If you have a prepacked share (Midland hospital, St. Johns, Lansing, Okemos, or home delivery), here are your options.  If you have a half share, you’ll choose either share A, B, or C, and if you have a full share, you can choose two of them.  So just email me by lunchtime the day before your drop-off to let me know which share you want for this week!  If I don't hear from you, I'll just choose for you. :-)

Share A: Blueberries, cucumbers, cabbage, carrots, fennel, onion, and okra.

Share B:  Cherry tomatoes, romaine, kale, carrots, potatoes, shallots, and basil.

Share C: Blueberries, romaine, kale, zucchini, potatoes, onions, and okra.

             

Recipes



I'm chuckling to myself as I write this, because I can just see you guys reading down the list of what's in the shares this week.  "Hmmm... blueberries or cherry tomatoes.  Sounds yummy.  Some pretty good stuff, some more normal stuff, and ... wait...  Shiso?  What even is that?  And what do I do with collards?"  So never fear!  Here are some ideas for those two potentially unfamiliar items this week!  
Shiso (which is also sometimes called perilla) is a delightful leafy herb whose flavor falls somewhere between basil and mint, so you can use it in a similar way to either of those.  Or you can check out these Japanese Shiso Leaf Meatballs for a new spin on an old favorite!  How awesome do those look?
I actually only had okra for the first time within the last year (having been born and raised here in the north, it wasn't a staple of my diet growing up, the way it was for many of our CSA members with southern roots).  But now I'm making up for lost time, because I really love it!  Try out this Easy Baked Okra for a fantastic easy side dish!


2 comments:

  1. I recently have some difficult conversations and I did what a lot of people do when they want to know more about something. I googled it. I came across Dr Williams herbal medicine on YouTube so many people thanking him about his good work. I also have stroke. I wasn’t running all over God’s creation with every man I could find but here I am. I have felt bad about myself for so many years now because of my stroke status. I obviously still have some self-accepting to do but I want to thank Dr Williams for everything he have done for my family ,after taking Dr Williams medicine i was completely free from stroke within one month of usage, I think what you are doing is so admirable. you have helped me a lot! I want to definitely reach out to you and thank you for your amazing work. You are a good person, and an extremely talented man. You have helped millions with your herbs, and have really inspired me,and i pray you still continue doing the good work.you can also email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DON FOR MY FAMILY.This information will be useful for epilepsy and stroke patients who is willing to use herbal medicine. My daughter had temporal lobe epilepsy, She had seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode. Our daughter's seizure is constant throughout the day. We had used several medicine which include: Epilim and Keppra, experience seizure control at the cost of serious debilitating side effects. It was during a casual conversation with a friend that I learned about herbal Dr. William on how he help her cure his son from stroke and so many others with different illness,his medicine does not have any side effect.after my daughter have finish taking dr williams medicine I am glad to say that he has been seizure-free since July 2015 after taking William medicine. this a miracle cure?contact him for more detail (drwilliams098675@gmail.com) .thanks once again admin for such an informative blog.

    ReplyDelete